Fall Update on C-304
I’m pleased to provide you with a quick update on what’s happening across Canada to support Bill C-304, calling for a National Housing Strategy.
Over 60 major organizations, municipalities, societies and chambers of commerce have endorsed Bill C-304 since it was first tabled in the House of Commons in February 2009
The most recent letters of endorsement have come from (in the order we received them):
• The City of Calgary and Mayor Dave Bronconnier
• Ontario Human Rights Commission – providing leadership for the promotion, protection and advancement of human rights
• Metro Vancouver – representing 21 municipalities and delivering regional services, planning and political leadership on behalf of a total of 24 local authorities (www.metrovancouver.org)
• Canadian Federation of University Women – a women’s equality-seeking organization representing thousands of women graduates, students and associate members in clubs across Canada (www.cfuw.org)
• Canadian Medical Association - a national association of physicians (www.cma.ca)
Here are just a few of the campaigns underway to support Bill C-304:
Canadians Without Poverty and Red Tent Campaign are holding a DAY OF ACTION on Parliament Hill on October 19th.
Canadian Housing and Renewal Association (CHRA) has a cross-Canada postcard campaign underway with postcards supporting C-304 addressed to the minister responsible for Canada Housing and Mortgage Corporation, Diane Finley. CHRA also passed a resolution of support for C-304 at its AGM in June.
Citywide Housing Coalition of Vancouver participates in area Red Tents and ACORN events and hands out flyers about C-304 which include information on how to contact area MPs who have voted against the bill.
We are still calling on everyone to contact their MPs to call on them to support Bill C-304. To find out how to reach your MP, please visit www.parl.gc.ca
Keep up the great work everyone!