I’m very excited about Bill C-460, An Act respecting the implementation of the Sodium Reduction Strategy for Canada, which is coming up soon for debate in Parliament.
I worked on and selected this Bill to come forward, to ensure the federal government finally takes action on the urgent need for a Sodium Reduction Plan in Canada. After YEARS of study, reports from experts, and undeniable evidence about the serious health impacts of high sodium consumption in Canada, I decided, this was the most important issue I could focus on, to address a very major health issue in Canada.
We all like a little bit of salt and indeed, sodium is a necessary part of our diet. BUT TOO MUCH SALT IS KILLING US. Eating too much salt, especially for our children, is causing major health issues now and will continue to wreak havoc on their health in the future.
Did you know?
- Canadians currently consume 3500 mg of sodium per day which is more than double the recommended amount of 1500 mg.
- A 2009 survey by the World Action on Salt and Health (WASH) found that Canada has the highest sodium content by portion in 5 of 15 food categories surveyed. This is because many international producers and fast food chains add more sodium to their Canadian products than they add to the same products marketed in other countries.
- Salt is the main cause of cardiovascular disease in Canada. High sodium diets contribute significantly to the incidence of hypertension and associated conditions of heart disease, stroke and kidney disease.
- Reducing Canadian sodium consumption to 1500 mg per day would decrease the incidence of hypertension by 30%. Approximately two million Canadians with hypertension could have normal blood pressure with this reduction of sodium intake.
- Reducing sodium consumption to 1500 mg would prevent 23,500 cardiovascular disease events and 10,000 to 16,000 deaths annually in Canada.
- Reducing sodium consumption to 1500mg per day would generate $1.38 billion in direct health care savings. If indirect costs are included, $2.99 billion would be saved per year.
I am very hopeful that my Bill will focus needed attention on the necessity to have a meaningful Sodium Reduction Plan in Canada. One that evidence-based, effective, and improves our health.
I am very grateful for the support of key organizations who are supporting Bill C-460.
I know that support for the Bill is growing. Please pass the word around! Please support Bill C-460 and help get this Bill through Parliament. It is possible!